Sunday, August 9, 2009

Our Paw Paw tree





I took these photos yesterday. We planted these trees about 5 or 6 years ago from seeds from pawpaw fruit. I am not sure what other countries would call them... we also call them papinos or papaya. I was chatting to a friend on Yahoo messenger this morning, and I showed her the photos. She had never seen one or even heard of one before. I forgot to tell her perhaps she knows them as "papaya".

Anyhow, I digress.. The reason I took the picture is because we have so many of them this year. I am going to be eating this until it comes out of my ears. Even though we give a lot a way, there is still so much. I sometimes make a smoothie with other additional fruit for a lovely summer breakfast... Yummy!

They normally ripen by November/December... At the moment they are still very green!

3 comments:

  1. You have a papaya tree???!!! WOW! They're quite expensive to buy her (imported of course) and I had no clue how they looked when the grew. I can imagine that they must taste heavenly when they get to ripen on the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, if I could I would parcel some up for you Fia.

    Yes they do taste heavenly, and when they ripen I will take a few more photos to show what it looks like. These are sweeter than those we buy here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I can't check your blog as often as I'd like to. I love papayas and I too wish I could get some that had ripened on the tree. I'm sure they taste heavenly.

    ReplyDelete